Friday, December 25, 2015

Skipping problem solved

I've had two jobs where the router went off program and started plowing through wood along the Y axis. Both times this happened as the router was cutting a curve.

Last night I realized that router wasn't getting extra instructions, or firing erratically. Instead, the X-axis was stalling. Since it was cutting a curve, the stall showed up as a move in the Y axis. After looking around for a bit, it looks like a heat related problem and adding a fan to the setup would help.

I ordered a small 24V fan, and made plans to build a wood box to house the fan and the gShield/Arduino Uno combo.

I was going to wait for the fan to arrive, but then I realized I didn't need to. I already had a very large fan in the room that I could use to cool the gShield. My shopvac. I hooked the shopvac exhaust up so that it would blow over the gShield.

I had no stalls on the next, larger and longer run. I had one problem where it lost some steps on the X-axis, but I'm going to assume for now that's because I had upped the cutting depth to 3mm.

No comments:

Post a Comment