Tuesday, November 16, 2021

The cut that didn't work

 I wanted to mill out some jigs to hold together pipes for Peter's Eagle Scout project, and I was using scrap plywood, so I got aggressive on the settings.  With a 1/4" bit I tried cutting out the circles with a pass 4 mm deep at a feed rate of 2526.2 mm/min, and then cutting out the edges with a pass 5 mm deep at a feed rate of 2526.2 mm/min.

The first triangle worked.

The second triangle did not, but the plywood was rotated. I'm not sure if that would make a difference or not given that only two of the cuts were aligned with the wood.

The spindle was set a 10,000 RPM. It is possible that I didn't get the speeds exactly the same between the cuts because I'm still using the dial on the controller to set the speed and haven't set up the wiring to control the RPM.


No comments:

Post a Comment